The Australian Tile Council exists to protect, educate and enhance the tile industry for the benefit of its members. It is organised and run by its members who represent around 70% of all tiles sold in the country.
Our primary role is to represent the industry to do collectively those things individual members could not effectively achieve independently. As such the Australian Tile Council is recognised by the Australian Government as the representative industry body.
The Australian Tile Council provides the following for its members –
- Represents them as the Representative Industry Body
- Technical and Industry related Information and Support
- Free access to the Tiles and Tiles Guide
- Free access to the Tile Reference Manual
- Tiling Literature, Brochures and Notices
- Professional recognition as a member of the only recognized nation body industry
- National Committee Representation
The Australian Tile Council has representatives on all relevant national industry committees which are critical in protecting our industry such as –
- Australian Standards for the fixing of tiles
- Australian Slip Resistant Standards
- Wet Areas in Buildings
- External Waterproofing Membranes
- Building Products Industry Council
Over the years the council has also been instrumental in the following major achievements:
- Having import duty rates on tiles reduced from 30% to 5%.
- Having the proposal to introduce a 12% sales tax on tiles quashed.
- Restricting and then eliminating cost burdens associated with requirements for quarantine inspections of all tile containers.
- Organising meetings for members with relevant experts who took us through the GST implications for our industry.
- Continuing to work to allow freedom of choice of floor tiles for residential applications in regards to slip resistance.
- Prevented the miscommunication by Worksafe of an industry alert that wall tiles potentially contained asbestos. This situation could have lead to a disastrous situation for the industry if the Australian Tile Council had not had it quickly rectified.
- Established a formal agreement with the National Tile Contractors Association of America to allow ATC members access to their highly regarded Tile Reference Manual.
- Written and published the Tile and Tiling Guide.
And we are continually on the lookout for issues that may be detrimental to our industry.